WingHaven Pediatrics will have Flu Vaccine and Flu Mist available this year. The following groups of children should receive this vaccine.
- Children 6 months and older should receive influenza vaccine.
- All household contacts of children under the age of 5 years
- Children 6 m – 18 yrs on long term aspirin therapy should be immunized
- Women who will be pregnant during influenza season
- Persons with certain chronic medical conditions: e.g. Asthma
The ACIP recommends that all persons, including school aged children, who want to reduce the risk of becoming ill with influenza or of transmitting influenza to others should be vaccinated.
- Children up to age 8 yrs who are being vaccinated for the first time should
receive 2 doses of influenza vaccine.
For Flu-Shot, 2 doses at least 1 month apart
For FluMist, 2 doses at least 6 - 10 weeks apart
We want to reemphasize the importance of administering two doses of vaccine to all children 6 months - 8 years if they have not been vaccinated previously. ACIP recommends that children aged 6 months - 8 years who received only one dose in their first year of vaccination receive two doses the following year. This is because one vaccine offers your child no protection.
This year, the CDC recommends that ALL CHILDREN under 18 get a flu vaccination. This will help protect your child and reduce the spread of flu this winter.